Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mother in Denial

Ricky at 16















My son Ricky who has just turned 16 a couple of months ago has been talking
about getting his learners ( you know the ones you need to drive a car! )
for over a year now.I had been blocking it out thinking I'll worry about it when
he is sixteen.

Everytime its been brought up since his birthday, coincidentally, I have been really busy and have had to say..
"Ricky not right now can we talk about this a bit later, I'm in the middle of something." Well last night was the final straw for him, he came right over to me and said " I know you don't want to talk about it , but I need to hurry up and get my learners before the new laws come in."
(I'm thinking COOL maybe they'll be , you can't drive until your thirty!)

So I say to him "What new laws?" he tells me that apparently there are going to be two lots of 'P' plates. In the first year while you are on the first 'P' plate you can only drive with one passenger in the car. I can see the advantages to this law with teenagers , I just think they need to couple it with another law that states they need 15 years experience on their learners before they can drive with that passenger!(Don't get me wrong, Ricky is a great kid and has always been really responsible but like any other parent the whole driving thing terrifies me!)

Meanwhile Ricky is looking at me with the 'Well ,are you going to say anything look'.So I say...
" By the way , I am so sick of you leaving this house in the morning without eating breakfast, how are you suppose to function properly the whole day and get through your VCE without it?!! I said some other crap too."
Then my son, being nearly six foot tall and all , but, who is not long out of nappies , says...
"Sorry your feeling like this , but the real issue here is you don't want me to grow up , but its gonna happen anyway, nothing I or you can do about it , in fact it won't be long before I'm 18!And you can't keep holding me back because of your fears." He then gives me a hug (one of those head lock ones) and a kiss on the cheek and walks into his room.
Well! Who does he think he is, and when did he go and get all insightful?!!
(What age should you stop putting them in time out? :-)

I know he's right and I know I need to deal with my own issues and not put them on him, so tomorrow I will be speaking to the authorities to get the laws changed! ;-)


I read a quote today that I thought was so relevant it said..

Making the decision to have a child-
it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have
your heart go walking around outside your body.
*Elizabeth Stone*
****************
Jaye(left) at 18months old and Ricky(right) at 6 years old
click on
image to
enlarge

3 comments:

Sue xx said...

My kids are not growing up I am not going anywhere near driving with them Aaaarrrggghh !! They are just not growing up!!!

Trudi said...

You have been tagged! See my blog for what to do next! Have fun with it

Anonymous said...

I have to say this is still one of my most favourite photos of the boys and it seems it was only a while ago!!! Let the laws change - my grandson aint driving no cars at the age of 16 - he's just got rid of his baby teeth for Gods's sake!!!