Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mental Telepathy??

I have been meaning to post a strange little incident that happened a couple of weeks ago with Sage.

Sage has been going to music lessons for the past couple of months. She loves it, and is constantly asking when Friday is so she can go back.
After each lesson all the kids leave the music room and go into another room in the same complex where there are several picnic rugs layed out for them. They all sit down on the rugs and have morning tea together before going home.

Sage knows the drill, each week,(as she reaches the music room exit door) she makes a run for it , her little legs can't carry her fast enough to get her to that very same picnic rug. Once she reaches 'her' rug she plonks herself down right in the centre of it , where she sits with a cool, calm and collected look and waits for me to fetch her snacks.
Once her bottom is positioned on that rug , it stays there and she's not moving!

When the other kids have finished their morning tea , their up and running around playing and enjoying each others company , but not Sage, she just sits there and observes them without saying a single word.( not sure why this is because we can't keep her quite for a millisecond at home and she doesn't sit still at play group.) Its become a standard joke with the other mothers, 'Oh there's Sage again just sitting in the middle of the stampede analysing everyone's behaviour.' When I ask her to go and play she says "No, I want to stay here." She's definitely not a shy child, I think she just really enjoys watching , so I just let her go.

Its the same thing each week, they all run and play and she's the only one sitting and watching with a smile.
Well she was the only one until the other day when a new girl joined the group.
This little girl (not sure of her name) was sitting on another rug about 5 metres from where Sage sat. Two other mothers and I were looking over at Sage as she looked over at this other little girl. Without saying a word to her Sage gave her this huge smile and held up two of her fingers , wondering what she was doing we looked over at the other girl and without her even saying a word (not that they would have heard each other from the noise and the distance between them anyway) the little girl nodded and smiled back and then held up three fingers, Sage then nodded back at her, they both exchanged one more grin each and then went on watching the other children. I was puzzled for a second, and then it dawned on me and the other mum's that they may have been telling each other their age! I had to go over and ask Sage what she had asked the girl (even though I know they didn't' actually speak) and sure enough her reply was "I told her I'm two, and she's three."

How cute!!
Goes to show we can communicate in all different ways!

In the last couple of weeks I have looked out for this little girl to see who her mother is so I can share the 'cute little incident' with her ( I didn't get the chance to tell her the day it happened) but the little girl hasn't been there since.
My friend Kim said to me the other day, "Maybe the little girl wasn't really there." So unless I see this kid again, it really ain't very cute anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

spookey!